Planet Word is happy to announce that the Office of the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development (DMPED) has announced the selection of our future home: the historic Franklin School, located at the intersection of 13th Street NW and K Street NW in Ward 2. We are delighted to have found such an appropriate venue and are ready to restore the Franklin School to its former architectural glory.
The District details the Franklin School in their recent press release: “Completed in 1869, the Franklin School is a historic landmark listed on the D.C. inventory of historic places and is also listed on the National Register of Historic Places. It was the first of several flagship schools to provide a comprehensive system of free universal education in the District. It was also the sight of Alexander Graham Bell’s ‘photophone’ experiments in 1876. Franklin became the site of the City’s first high school is 1880 and was the administrative headquarters of the District school system from 1928 until 1968. It also served as an Adult Education Center from 1969 until 1990.”
Read more about the Franklin School and the work ahead of us in the Deputy Mayor for Planning and Economic Development’s press release. Our recent fortune in finding the Franklin School has caught the eye of many, including The Washington Post, The DCist, and CityLab.